A selection of recent media releases, and news stories is available in the database below and can be searched for by year and month.
Please phone 0436 678 215 or 07 3858 5700.
Wednesday 29 July 2020
Today marks the sixth anniversary of the swearing in of Queensland's 26th Governor, His Excellency the Honourable Paul de Jersey AC.
On that occasion, 29 July 2014, the Governor remarked of his duties:
“Apart from constitutional responsibilities, and important ceremonial and civic duties, my other essential goals, as I see them, will be to seek to... support, encourage and inspire all Queenslanders… uphold and promote the advancement of our great State… visit the people of all communities during my term… thank our Indigenous fellow citizens for their important participation… and serve all our fellow Queenslanders… characterized by a spirit of reconciliation and togetherness.”
Over the last six years, the Governor and Mrs de Jersey have met thousands of wonderful Queenslanders, all over the State, while discharging important constitutional, ceremonial and community duties.
His Excellency’s initial five-year term was extended in November 2018 until 29 July 2021.
Since 29 July 2014, His Excellency has:
- Delivered 1,315 speeches
- Attended 1,223 community events throughout Queensland (including 520 regional events)
- Visited 230 regional centres
- Visited 68 of Queensland’s 77 local government areas (with a further 3 to be visited by the end of August 2020)
- Attended 16 events interstate
- Attended 14 trips overseas including 21 countries and 234 events
- Hosted Regional Government House 5 times for a total of 34 days in October 2015 & 2016 and August 2017, 2018 & 2019 including 200 events and 85 speeches delivered visiting: based in Far North Queensland x 2, Longreach, Mackay & Mount Isa (visiting Cairns x 2, Kuranda, Daintree, Aurukun, Gordonvale, Green Island, Jundah, Windorah, Winton, Muttaburra, Ilfracombe, Boulia, Birdsville, Bedourie, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands, Charters Towers, Moranbah, Clermont, Georgetown, Palm Island, Weipa, Pormpuraaw, Kowanyama, Blackall x 2, Gympie, Burketown, Cloncurry, Dajarra, Mornington Island, Hughenden, Richmond, Camooweal & Tambo)
- Presented 1,669 Australian Honours and Awards at 132 investitures
- Hosted 593 official functions and 35,125 guests
- Received 316 Callers (103 - Diplomatic and 213 - General)
- Hosted 6 Royal Visits
- Been Administrator of the Commonwealth on 26 occasions for a total of 161 days
- Opened the grounds and residence on 297 occasions for 68,648 people, for free public tours, including for school groups, at Open Days, to view the Christmas Lights display and as part of Brisbane Open House
- Presided at 249 meetings of the Executive Council and considered 2,622 Executive Council Minutes
- Presided at 4 meetings of the Federal Executive Council as Administrator
- Assented to 221 pieces of legislation passed by the State Parliament
- Assented to 2 pieces of legislation passed by the Commonwealth, signed 13 x Bill Messages for the Commonwealth, noted 6 x documents, approved 8 x recommendations & signed the Electoral Writ for the 2016 Federal Election as Administrator
- Accepted patronage of 159 groups or organisations
- Appointed 1 Vice-Regal Dog
Additional Activity for Mrs de Jersey:
- Attended 40 events in her capacity as Patron
- Hosted 11 events at GH
- Delivered 27 speeches
- Accepted Patronage of 7 groups or organisations
- Received 5 Callers
- Recorded a Mothers' Day Video Message