When the house was extended by John Stevenson in the 1890s, the Foyer and Small Sitting Room were part of a single larger space which served as Drawing Room and Parlour. The wall separating the Drawing Room from the hallway and staircase was removed to create a larger, open entry space when the new Drawing Room was added in 1937.
Portraits of all monarchs and their spouses since Queensland separated from New South Wales hang in The Foyer.
The portraits of Victoria and Albert are on loan from the Royal Collection Trust in London and are three-quarter size copies of 1845 originals by Franz Winterhalter, a nineteenth century German painter known for his portraits of Royalty. All portraits are in their original Maratta style frames, some highly ornamented. All frames are gilded with 24 carat gold leaf.
The cedar staircase, with its carved balustrades and massive newel posts, was installed by John Stevenson as part of his renovations of Fernberg in 1890, and leads to the Governor’s apartment and guest suites on the second floor. Stevenson installed a large window overlooking the staircase and, as a proud Scot, commissioned a studio in Scotland to create the large stained-glass image of Scotland’s national hero, the mediaeval Scottish King, Robert the Bruce.